Halloween is a fun time of the year where everyone dresses up and goes door to door for candy and treats. With children on the streets in the neighborhood, it can be a scary time for parents who are concerned about their children’s safety. Here are some tips to keep your family safe this Halloween season.
- Keep costumes safe. Make sure costumes are fire retardant and cannot catch on fire. Masks should not impede vision. If going trick or treating after dark, make sure to put some reflective tape on costumes. If applying makeup, keep it non toxic and remove it before going to bed to avoid infections and irritations.
- Never let children trick or treat unaccompanied. Supervision is important to keep younger kids safe.
- For older children going out alone, plan a route and have them stick to it so you know where your kids are. Have a curfew, and teach your children never to enter a stranger’s home or vehicle.
- Always look both ways before crossing the street.
- When driving around on Halloween, keep your eye out for children crossing the street.
- Let children know not to eat any candy before they are checked at home by their guardian.
- Make sure your trick or treating routes are well lit, along sidewalks and paths, and in well populated areas.
- When walking, put electronic devices away and do not listen to headphones. These can be a distraction from traffic.
- If your costume comes with props, make sure the props are safe and will not injure you or others.
These safety tips will keep you and your family safe for Halloween night!